Prof. Helmut Schatz
Univ.-Prof. Dr. med. Dr. h.c. Helmut Schatz, Bochum
- 1957-1963 Medical education at the universities of Graz/Austria and Bonn/Germany 1963- 1964 Postdoctoral fellow at the Karolinska Institutet Stockholm-Solna /Sweden
- 1964- 1989 Departments of Internal Medicine in Vienna, Ulm and Giessen
- 1983 Guest Professor in India (Delhi, Mumbai, Lucknow, (Prof. Basu Memorial Lecturer)
- 1989 – 2003 Professor and Chairman, Dept. of Internal Medicine, Ruhr-University Bochum, Spokesman of the Professors in the Senate of the University of Bochum
More than 500 scientific publications, 15 books.
Many scientific awards including:
- Honorary Ring of the President of the Republic of Austria, Adolf Schärf 1964
- Bertram-Prize 1976 of the German Diabetes Association
- Langerhans-Medal 1999 of the German Diabetes Association.
- Minkowski Medal 2004 of the University of Wroclaw.
- Hippokrates Medal 2006, International Hippokrates Foundation Kos.
- Juehling-Medal of the Wunderlich and Juehling Foundation, University of Duesseldorf, 2009.
- Doctor honoris causa, University of Cluj-Napoca, Romania, 2010.
- Bundesverdienstkreuz 1. Klasse, Federal Republic of Germany, awarded by the German Federal President Joachim Gauck, 2014
- Goldenes Ehrenzeichen, Republic of Austria, awarded by the Austrian Federal President Heinz Fischer, 2015
- Verdienstorden Nordrhein-Westfalen, awarded by the prime minister of NRW, 2022
1990/91 President of the German Diabetes Association
2003-2009: President of the Central European Diabetes Association
Founder of the North-Rhine-Guestfalian Association for Endocrinology & Diabetes, 1st President 1995 – 1999
President of the Rhine-Guestfalian Society for Internal Medicine
2009-2012, 2012-2015: Member of the Board of the German Endocrine Society (DGE) as Media-Speaker.
2015-until now : Associated Member of the DGE- Board (responsible for the Internet – Blogs)
1995-2005 Editor-in-Chief, “Experimental and Clinical Endocrinology & Diabetes”, until now Honorary Editor-in Chief of the Journal. Member of Editorial and Advisory Boards of many International Medical Journals